GHS Students Walk Out

Lydia von Schwanenfluegel, Staff Writer

At 10 a.m. on Wednesday, March 14th, hundreds of students at Goffstown High School walked out of class and solemnly filed toward the gym. They were walking out in solidarity with the victims of the deadly Marjory Stoneman Douglas shooting, and paying tribute to their lives. As many students took their seats in the bleachers, nine speakers made their way to the front of the crowd to lead a silent tribute to the victims. For every minute of the walkout, one of the 17 lives prematurely taken was remembered with the reading of their biography. After each biography, there came a moment of silence.

The GHS student walkout was just one of thousands around the country. Some schools led silent protests while others took to the streets outside their school waving signs and chanting things like “We want change!” and “Enough is enough.” While the student support for the walkout was overwhelming, it did not change any national legislation on guns. Movements like this and intense pressure on lawmakers, however, did make Florida Governor Rick Scott part with the National Rifle Association and sign a bill into law imposing restrictions on gun sales. The restrictions include raising the minimum age to buy a gun to 21, and a three day holding period for all gun purchases. In addition to this, it banned the possession of “bump stocks” and gave police greater power to confiscate guns.

The law change in Florida was encouraging to student protestors, but it still was nowhere near their goals for national improvement on gun control. As lawmakers in Congress continue to refuse to pass a bill on gun control, more protests around the country are being organized. On Saturday, March 24th, marches around the country are scheduled, organized by March For Our Lives. To find a march near you, you can visit this website.