Is Writing Art? Is Art Writing?

Elisha Langevin, Senior Editor

Writers are like painters, painting their white paper canvas with words. Therefore, shouldn’t we consider writing as a form of art? Many, however, disagree, as Goffstown High School does not count writing electives as an art credit. The state of New Hampshire regulates which school courses would count for which credits and writing does not fall under the category of an art credit. Of the 94 students I asked, 85 students stated that they believed writing to be a form of art.Therefore, why can’t writing count as an art credit? I’ve been told I’m making a great point, however, why isn’t anyone listening? It’s tough to get an art credit to graduate when you’re not so artistically talented in the art department, myself included.

To support my argument I asked students from all around Goffstown High School whether writing electives, like Journalism and Creative Writing, should be considered as an art credit. The results I got were enormously supportive, more than I expected as well, 85 students said yes and only 9 disagreed. The numbers speak for themselves, however, the students had some great argumentative points as well.

There was a debate on which writing electives should count; many did not want to include Journalism as an art credit. However, these students agreed that they believed Creative Writing to be a form of art. Although, others considered both should be counted as an art credit, as writing is a creative process like art. I see both as a form of art, art expresses opinions similar to writing. Journalism expresses opinions and feelings just as much as Creative Writing, and that’s why I consider both as art. Although, I mostly consider Creative Writing being an art; my reasoning being that in Creative Writing you’re producing creative stories and not writing fact or opinion based articles, as you would be in Journalism.

To truly understand why writing electives count as an art credit I talked to Mrs. Morrison; one of the guidance counselors at Goffstown High. We discussed my results and the students thoughts, and I asked her what she had thought about the results. “My initial reaction is that I’m impressed that our students have such an appreciation for all forms of art.  However, it is also clear to me that most students are not aware of the standards behind the ‘credit types’ associated with electives.”

According to Mrs. Morrison, “Goffstown High School is an accredited high school, holding accreditation through NEAS&C (New England Association of Schools and Colleges).  As such, we must meet not only the standards of the state of New Hampshire, but also those of NEAS&C. This helps us to uphold the level of rigor and quality of education we are proud of and that community members have come to expect of GHS. Since writing electives are taught by English teachers, who are considered ‘highly qualified’ in the area of English and not Art, writing electives cannot be considered art credits.”

Those of you hoping writing electives should be considered as an art credit, like myself, can always dream of one day having courses with writing to count as an art credit. Although, rest assured it won’t be happening anytime soon. What if you’re not talented in art? Mrs. Morrison suggests stepping out of your comfort zone and trying something you wouldn’t, or try something new. Goffstown High School does count Photography and Piano Lab as art credits, and even if they don’t sound interesting now, remember that you haven’t tried them yet. Mrs. Morrison does agree poetry is an art and Journalism and Creative Writing are art in their own ways, but as she mentioned earlier English teachers are only qualified in the area of English. I think it’s time for me to try something new, maybe I’ll try Photography.