Cursive’s Too Curvy?

Cursive+Writing+

Marlena Malloch

Cursive Writing

Marlena Malloch, Staff Writer

Technology, it’s a wonderful thing. It can help us look up anything in the blink of an eye. We can communicate with astronauts on the ISS. Most importantly we can type. We can type full paragraphs of our day to day lives, make beautiful stories, or simply say “hi”. It has also made it hard for people, especially younger students, to read cursive.

Usually, students are taught how to write cursive around 2nd and 3rd grade. I remember being taught to write in cursive around that time but it was never mandatory for the rest of elementary or middle, nor in high school. I never really write in cursive, only when formally signing my name. Although there is a very small percentage of students that write in cursive now, it’s not mandatory. Elementary schools have begun to stop teaching it altogether because they feel it is unnecessary with the advent of technology. But is it really unnecessary? Some say it is. It takes away from more important subjects, it can be harder to read for some people, and it can be time-consuming. Some say it is very important. It helps with fine-motor skills by activating the part in the brain that helps with writing. It could possibly help students with dyslexia, seeing the curvy letters could give them another opportunity at writing and reading. Plus, it could help students connect with the past. Reading old diary journals, letters, or documents could connect them with a minor part of a major event in history.

Personally, I feel it is important to teach cursive. Even though I don’t write in cursive often, it did help my handwriting and is probably a big factor in why I am writing today. What do you think? Should it be taught in schools? Should it become mandatory again? I’m curious to hear what you have to say.