The National Art Honor Society is Inducted into GHS

“Overwhelmed” (left) and “Golden” (right) by Rita Peace

Emily Hughes, Editor

Goffstown High School is proud to welcome the National Art Honor Society (NAHS) to the community. This is the first time in GHS’s history that the Art Department will be establishing an honorable society to recognize students, of all genres, in honor of their artistic achievements.

The NAHS will be joining the community of honor societies such as NHS, the Tri-M Music Honor Society, and Rho Kappa Social Studies Honor Society, bringing the school’s total to four. This not only diversifies the recognition students can receive throughout high school, but also showcases students with a focus in art to truly highlight their talents.

Ann Kelley is the newest addition to the Art Department staff with a focus on interior design, and is the future supervisor for NAHS. “The whole idea is to become leaders in the art community.” Ms. Kelley affirmed in an interview, “It shows that we have a really deep program to have this available to the students.”

The society will meet monthly as an organization and be heavily involved with the school through public projects, community service, and featuring guest speakers. In addition to recognition as a society in the school, involved students will receive a cord to wear when they graduate. Many student opportunities for gaining scholarships, attending or being featured in virtual exhibits, and earning artistic awards also exist within NAHS. There are, however, a few minor requirements in order to join the organization.

Students interested in being a member of NAHS must have completed one semester of an art course, finishing with a B average or better. Prospective members will also need to pay a small induction fee of $5.

The addition of NAHS to the Goffstown community is extremely important to Ms. Kelley, as it allows students to build their résumé as artists. “We want to see our art students succeed to the highest levels and leave with a good portfolio,” Kelley states. She is thrilled to be returning to the GHS community and establishing an official organization for artists to shine: “The art students here are very talented and the teachers have a great curriculum, and I’m glad to help enrich it and be part of the team!”

Interested students should contact Ann Kelley via email at Ann.Kelley@sau19.org, or visit her in A-02. More information will become available to students and parents via the GHS Home Page. Extra information about the society on the national scale can be found here.