The Paw Print

John Mulaney: Kid Gorgeous

Alex Boisvert, Staff Writer

John Mulaney is a 35 year old, stand up comedic genius who just came out with his new Netflix special, Kid Gorgeous on May 1st recorded in Radio City Music Hall. He’s had two other specials called the Comeback Kid, and New In Town where he talks about his family, meeting Bill Clinton and old jobs that he used to have. In this one, he talks about the old days, how robots run our everyday lives, street smarts, how our current president is a “horse loose in a hospital”. He uses a lot of relatable humor that is taken from his experiences in life. Mulaney discusses a time in which he recieves a letter from his alma mater asking for money to which he responds “I have spent $120,000 dollars, and you have the audacity to ask me for more money?!” and he continues to say, “By the way, I agreed to give them $120,000 dollars, when I was 17 years old, with no attorney present! They tricked me!” which pretty much sums up what most adults in that auditorium had to do as well. Mulaney has a certain way with his humor. He takes experiences from his everyday life, and turns it into this hilarious bit in which the whole audience is engaged and can relate. For instance, he discusses what being 35 was like and he says “I am at a new phase before old, which is gross. I am damp all the time.” which any 35 year old in the audience could relate to. The part where he gets the biggest laugh out of the entire night, is when he discusses politics. He starts off the conversation by summing up what today’s politics are like which is fairly accurate. Mulaney says, “I’ve been keeping my ears open, and it seems like everyone everywhere, is super mad at everything all the time.” which you can see in our media very often. He continues to say “I try to stay optimistic but I will admit, things are getting pretty sticky”.  He describes our current president as a “Horse loose in a hospital” which doesn’t make sense, but the way he explains his reasoning is absolutely hilarious. You have to watch the special in order to get the full effect because his delivery makes everything 10 times funnier. Most of these quotes are so much better in context and coming out of his mouth. John Mulaney puts so much color and life into his acts and makes them genuinely enjoyable. I highly recommend watching Kid Gorgeous now available on Netflix. His other specials are equally brilliant and hilarious and are high on my recommended list. You will not be dissapointed!

About the Writer
Alex Boisvert, Staff Writer

Alex is a senior at GHS. She is most commonly known as the vampire who lurks in the depths of a local theatre company. She is planning to go to Salem State...