Field Hockey Wrap Up

Hannah Minnich, Staff Writer

At Exeter’s William Ball Stadium, on October 29th, the ninth-seeded Goffstown overpowered their offensive end against Lebanon in the semi-finals the entire night. Goffstown had numerous shots on Lebanon goalie, Ashlee Blashock. Blashock exerted herself to keep the Grizzlies off the scoreboard. Until Kendall Dubois tied up the game 1-1 at the end of the third quarter, during a corner, putting it just past the Lebanon goalie.

Throughout the game, Goffstown continued to dominate on their offensive side, shooting continuously on Blashock. Blashock fought back and made it a scoreless fourth quarter putting the game into overtime. The anxiousness and frustration from both teams ended in overtime when Bethany Dubreuil hit the ball  just past Blashock giving the 2-1 victory to Goffstown.

“We worked so hard, we were nauseous on the bus ride here, but we just put it away, I guess,” Dubreuil said. “I was just very, very relieved. We were all very exhausted. There is a lot of positivity and we played into that and kept supporting each other even though we were frustrated.”

After 16 years, Goffstown made its first appearance in a championship game when the Grizzlies played Portsmouth at Bedford High School.

Jess Brown, Goffstown’s coach, had some words after the semi-final game, “Their goalie played a phenomenal game and it definitely took a lot to get it past her, but I thought the girls were consistent in their efforts. We had pretty consistent pressure the entire game, so it’s nice that the game ended like it did.”

Unfortunately, on Sunday, during the championship game, it didn’t end how the Grizzlies had hoped. The Portsmouth Clippers won against the Goffstown Grizzlies, 6-0, in a slaughter and captured the Division II state championship title.

Although the Grizzlies lost, and the team was devastated, the score does not reflect the effort the players showed. In the long run, the Grizzlies were unanticipated to do as well as they did throughout the season.