Is the ASVAB Worth it?

Reanna Trembley, Staff Writer

As many sophomores, juniors, and seniors might know, GHS is offering students the option to take an in-depth test that helps students figure out what they might want to do after high school. The Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB), sponsored by the Career Exploration Program, took place on the 9th of November, 2021. The ASVAB tests developmental abilities and helps predict your future: academically and occupationally. While the website says that it’s for your success in the military, it doesn’t necessarily mean you have an obligation to join the military. As many go through high school, and reach their junior and senior years, it marks the time when students start to ask themselves, “ What do I want to do with the rest of my life?” Many are dead set on what they want to do while others are completely lost. Feeling either of those ways is completely normal but, if you are leaning towards not knowing what you want to do, the ASVAB might be something you should consider taking.

After hearing the opinions of some students at GHS, I have heard how the student body feels about this test. There were many throughout the school who weren’t even considering taking the test. A big contributing factor to this could be the passion project that, we have to do sophomore year. Many use that project to help figure out what they are interested in and explore their options based on that. While there were many other that said they just weren’t interested in taking it. While many students said they weren’t taking it there was also a large handful who said they were planning on taking it. Students who said they were taking it also said that they were using this test to help find out what they are good at and to use it to help explore their options in even more depth than the passion project. Surprisingly no one in the recorded data said they had no idea what they were doing after high school.

Not only did I get the opinions from students at GHS but I also talked to some teachers here as well to get some insight on how teachers and guidance counselors felt about the test. After asking if they thought it was a good way to help students determine their course of action after high school I got a pretty broad answer of “sort of”. They feel it is a good way to help you find out what you’re strengths and weaknesses are but, they also think students shouldn’t just rely on it to determine what they should do. Considering ASVAB is just to help you figure out what you’re good at shouldn’t mean you become close-minded to other options. Which I think many of us can agree on. I also asked “ Would you recommend the test to students who already have a plan after high school, why?” The overall, not surprising answer was yes. Many said they think it is a good way to open your mind up to other options just in case what you have your mindset on doesn’t go as planned. One teacher said, “It’s always good to have a plan B”. Lastly, I asked “Do you wish you had the option to take a] test like the ASVAB when you were in high school?” The results from this question were pretty versatile. Some said absolutely while others did take the test and said they were glad they had the option but didn’t end up in the field is determined.

Some people might be completely lost and not have a clue what they want to do. In that case, it is a smart choice to explore your options and to test your strengths and weaknesses. Even if you think you know what you want to do it’s not a bad idea to have a backup plan. I hope that after reading this article many of you walk away with the consideration of possibly taking it next year.