A Return to Normalcy

Seniors experience their first normal school year post COVID.

Emma Boucher, Staff Writer

It’s March 2022, Covid-19 is all over the media, all stores are closing, nonessential personnel are staying home, and kids are stuck in their house with nothing but their phones. Three weeks is turning into a whole year, boredom turns into rage, and school is online.

Being told school was going to be cleaned for three weeks, expecting to return was a highlight for some of the Goffstown students- a vacation.  Realizing in April that school was going to be online indefinitely was the beginning of the end for some students. The less motivated, the troubled, the learning challenged, they all struggled to finish school. Online school was a huge learning curve for everyone.

The online format did not work for everyone. “School started to feel like a chore,” one senior  says.  “It  [online learning] really did take a toll on my education.” Julia Charest, a senior, says. “ I struggled to find the motivation to do my school work and it didn’t really work well for me,” Julia says. “I was able to get my work done but I never felt like I was learning, passing and failing was easier determined by how well you can fill in some blanks and press submit,” one senior says. 

When the end of freshman year turned into the beginning of sophomore year, things barely changed. Everyone was six feet apart, masked, and following a hybrid schedule, meaning only seeing half the class that they used to. Lunches were spaced out and masks were on. There was not a single assembly, dance, or group anything indoors. 

“School didn’t hold a lot of activities [sophomore year], it felt really boring and definitely upsetting, because it’s such a once and a lifetime experience we missed out on.” Julia says. She feels like the school didn’t accommodate well to the circumstances. “The fact that we weren’t in a classroom setting with our peers or talking to or engaging with our peers, I think that definitely hurt my social life. I stopped being as social as I was over the past two years,” Julia says. “I think that our sophomore year was very lonely. It felt like I was in an invisible hamster bubble, no one was really able to go near each other,” One senior says. 

Although it feels that the last two years were very lonely, seniors can look at this year as a chance to make up for some of the things they missed. GHS students have had an assembly,