Gracie Brisiel, Not Just a Student Council Member

Emma Boucher, Writer

Gracie, a student council member, has lived a hard life. However, she chooses to focus her strengths into leadership roles, student council, and the head of announcements club. Gracie is always willing to give a helping hand to anyone in school, and her town. 

Gracie loves to read, draw and write poems and stories. She expresses herself through her creativity. She’s never bored of being carried away by a book or drawing something new. Whether it’s I’m Glad my Mom Died or the Hunger Games she’s always willing to give any book a try. “Even if I don’t like it, I just have to finish it.”  She loves curling up on the couch with her dog Marcus and eating Chinese food. Even when she was younger, she loved to hang out with her cat Milo, her childhood pet got her through thick and thin no matter the tough times, her love for animals has only grown. 

Gracie’s pets have been with her through every one of her 16 moves as a child. As she moved from home to home, she had two consistencies, her imagination and her books, no matter where she was, she could read or make something up in her head until everything felt normal again. 

Gracie will admit that she is a chronic procrastinator, she will procrastinate on an assignment for as long as possible. She’ll do it during lunch before her class, or start a project the night before it’s due, however her perfectionism makes sure it is still as good as if she had spent weeks on said assignment. We think the reason she might be so willing to procrastinate is because it’s easier to stuff your nose in a book than an assignment. 

Gracie is clearly very clumsy, “It’s [her] weak center of gravity.” She has a history of falling down, running into people (especially with bikes) and falling in mop closets. It has never stopped her from walking with confidence. 

One story that really highlights Gracie would be the time she fell in a mop closet. While working at her job, Dunkins’, she was getting ready to mop the floors when she tripped over the mop bucket and broke her sacrum. She didn’t cry, or whine, “I just kind of laughed it off, I didn’t really have any other options.” She says.

Gracie, a student council member, has lived a hard life. However, she chooses to focus her strengths into leadership roles, student council, and the head of announcements club.  Without getting into her childhood, she is more positive than she should be for someone with her history. Gracie is always a shoulder to cry on, a kind friend, and someone to laugh with (or at).