Too Early to Learn

School begins at 7:56

Avery Skora, Staff Writer

Goffstown High School begins at 7:56 a.m..  Students, as well as teachers, wake up incredibly early to get a jump start to their full day of learning.  When asking some students regarding their wake up time, they say their alarms go off at times from 5:30, 5:55, 6:30, and so on, which is before the sun is even up.  Kids and teens should be getting 8-10 hours of sleep every night, but because of the inability to fall asleep before 10 p.m., students end up getting 6-7, or even under 5 hours of sleep.

Sleep deprivation is just one of the many effects a lack of rest can have on students and teachers.  Not paying attention in class, and getting lower grades increases, as well as bad moods and going from happy to angry in a span of just a few seconds.  Caffeine is a way many, as well as I, use to stay up to keep from falling asleep in class.  Caffeine is not as healthy as you may think, it can result in shakiness, headaches, high blood pressure, and the list goes on.

Others may not eat healthy balanced meals, for example, when lunch starts at 11:00 in the morning, students will most likely not be hungry enough to eat breakfast since lunch is so close by.  Breakfast is the most important meal of the day; it is not good to not have food in your system to fuel you.

Starting at 8:30 am, would be more beneficial compared to our early time because it will help with learning and paying attention in class, how much sleep we get, better our moods, and the list goes on.  Yes, school would end almost an hour later, but that wouldn’t be too much of a change since that is around the time the middle school ends.