The Paw Print

Senior Poetry Slam

Back to Article
Back to Article

Senior Poetry Slam

(L to R) Miah Pinard, Andrew Smerekanicz, Kaelyn Gervais, Catie Verostick, Allison Buckless, Kate Duval, Mary Catherine Gill, Chris Piekarski

Katelynn Biederman

Katelynn Biederman

Katelynn Biederman

Katelynn Biederman and Quinn Mattis

Senior classes attended the annual Poetry Slam contest on Monday, February 5th in the Hieber Theater during 4th period. Mary Catherine Gill placed first with an emotional performance of an original poem. Kaelyn Gervais and Kate Duval were runner ups.

Runner up Kaelyn Gervais, whose original poem details the frustrations of having a well-known older brother, feels good about her performance even though it was a difficult and stressful experience. She appreciates the inspiration her brother provided, and the opportunity to step out of his shadow.

Despite feeling nervous as the first performer, contestant Miah Pinard felt relieved and satisfied with her performance. “It was an incredible chance for the people being a part of it to show their talent at poetry and how emotionally they’re invested on different topics.”

Sam Sherman,  a senior who attended the Poetry Slam remarks, “I thought that it was powerful; what each poet had to say made me feel something unique to their words. To put it simply, it was captivating.”

About the Contributor
Katelynn Biederman, Staff Writer

Katelynn is a senior at GHS and in her fourth year of newspaper. She enjoys music, writing, making art and videos with the most basic of programs. She...