Student Finds Success in Special Olympics

Celebrating Phoenix’s Homecoming.

Kelsey Gregorio, Staff Writer

Phoenix celebrates her success.

Phoenix-Trinity Irish, a senior at Goffstown High School represented New Hampshire in this year’s  Special Olympics Summer games in Seattle Washington.  Phoenix was picked to participate in the 50-meter run, standing long jump, softball throw and the 100-meter walk.

Phoenix believes, “it’s very important…to show that New Hampshire is important in the Special Olympics community.”

To celebrate Phoenix’s selection, the town of Goffstown organized a send-off celebration for June 23, at the Congregational Church in town. Phoenix was escorted by the Goffstown police officers and firefighters to the celebration.

Speeches from Superintendent of Schools Brian Balke and the team coordinator Lynn Fitzpatrick highlighted Phoenix’s achievements and involvement with the Special Olympics team since she was 8 years old. There also were letters presented by senators Jeanne Shaheen and Maggie Hassen. They spoke about her successes over the years and congratulated Phoenix for being chosen to contribute to the team at the USA Games.

Phoenix is also an active member of the GHS cheer squad and thrives from being on a team. This year, Phoenix was crowned Prom Queen of 2018, and also jumped in her second Penguin Plunge.

Phoenix had a great time at the USA Games, and ended up winning different medals in her events.

In the softball throw, she took home gold. In the javelin throw, she won bronze. And, in the 100-meter walk and the 50-meter run, she finished in fourth place.

Phoenix with medals in Seattle.