New Members Inducted To National Honors Society

Matthew Stanton approaches podium during NHS Induction ceremony

Lizzie Cheetham, Staff Writer

On Thursday, January 12th GHS’s National Honors Society inducted new members from the Junior class. The senior members worked hard to set up for the incoming inductees, and by 7:00 pm, everyone was seated and ready to go. The night began with NHS president, Arielle Korn, reading the pledge of allegiance and then segued into the process of inducting the new members. For every junior there was a senior reading a speech about everything they’ve done that has made them a good fit for the National Honors Society. NHS senior, Molly Phillips-Morgrage, says, “They were all very deserving,” in reference to the junior members.  

The entire process of the NHS induction ceremony is mostly student run. The president and the committee are in charge of assigning roles, organizing speeches, and making the slideshow. It is a lot of work, yet Molly claims, “I wasn’t nervous because we have a good committee who organized [the induction] well.” After all of the speeches were read Arielle Korn proceeded to list all of the events NHS has participated in during the past year. Finally, the committee members all read a short bit on the four pillars of NHS: Scholarship, Leadership, Service, and Character. Besides the big job of reading the speeches, there were other NHS members handing out programs, ushering students to their seats, and cutting the cake.

For all members of NHS old and new it seems to have been a successful night. Junior, Cassidie Plourde, says, “It was a great opportunity to be inducted into NHS.” She also says, “The ceremony was very well organized and flowed nicely.” 

For the rest of the year NHS will continue its work of tutoring in the Student Resource Center and the Grizzly Den as well as participating in volunteer work. Towards the end of the year the new president and committee will be elected from the Junior class, and by next fall, the process of adding new members will be underway.